Welcome MAEEC 2009 Cohort!

This blog was created to draw on the collective experience and wisdom of our classmates to confront despair and gain hope through mindful practices.

In our quest to change the world, we can process inner despair by quieting the senses to fully engage the despair and in doing so, gain hope through compassion and connectivity. This personal journey speaks to the soul, and in healing yourself, you add to the healing of the Earth.

We invite each of you to share your personal stories and tools of how you bravely acknowledge despair through mindfulness. By informing each other of our experiences throughout these two years, we hope to create meaning for each other and foster a collective understanding of the power of stillness.

Looking forward,
Leigh, Alla, Michelle, and Elisa

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sense of despair


I’ve been living with the sense of despair since I was a little girl. I just didn’t know how to call it. For as long as I can remember, I’ve been feeling deep pain inside when I see destruction in nature. It took me many years to realize that not everybody in my surroundings was feeling the same way. That realization made me understand that some people had no feelings about their natural environment and therefore had no reason to protect it. I spent most of my childhood playing outside and learning about living creatures. I always felt good when I was in nature, but the sense of despair was always there. I decided to enrol in the Master’s program in environmental education and communication at Royal Roads University to understand and learn how to help myself and other people deal with their sense of despair. I’ve already learned a lot during the first two weeks of residency and despite the fact that I’m not sleeping many hours every night, I can still function the next day. I think my energy is coming from my professors, my colleagues and the fact that the campus is located in a beautiful natural environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment